Saturday, May 7, 2011

Tanglewood's Secret and other stories by Patricia St John

Patricia St John http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_St._John is a christian author who has written many lovely children's stories. Most of them help children to figure out the difficulties that they must face and struggle with in their young lives. So often we presume that because children are protected by us that they will never face any inner struggles. Unfortunately this is not always so.

Today we bought and watched the Tanglewood's Secret DVD today. I was so thrilled with the story all over again. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed reading this story. (Of course I always prefer reading the book to viewing!) It is a story that deals well with life and death issues, which sadly many children have to face earlier than we would chose. 

It also deals with the issue of prayers that seem to be unanswered. The little girl in the story prays that her friend will be healed and she finds herself very discouraged after his death. A local shepherd tells her that the Great Shepherd and taken her friend away from the stoney and harsh field and to a green and lush, happy pasture! So often when we think God is saying 'No" to our prayers, He has in fact chosen something better for us.

As I look back over my own childhood, I do believe Patricia St John was instrumental in developing a deep sense of compassion for the lost and the underdog. My favourite as a child was the Secret of the Fourth Candle and so I can say it was the most influential. Being an African kid whose paretns had been missionaries I think I fully related to and loved Patricia St John  own missionary expereince that greatly influenced in her stories and her understanding and compassion for fellow mankind.

I think Treasures in the Snow must be the most well known of her books. But truely, every child should have a chance to read her other books as well. Even more than Treasures of the Snow, I particularly like Star of Light, Twice Feed and Runaway.

I personally think that
Star of Light, Twice Feed and Runaway need to be read first by parents,  as they do touch on topics that need a certain maturity. Whereas Friska My Friend and The Other Kitten are delightful reading for the younger reader.  

One can never finish one of these books without feeling inspired to be a better person! 

Other of her books that I have read over the years and enjoyed for a specific 

audience are the Rainbow Garden, Where the River Begins, Three Go Searching, and Rainbow Garden. Again I would read it first as a parent if you are fussy about what your children read as they are aimed at addressing particular issues some children may face in life.

The Victor I think is the same book as The Runaway.

Jessica knows this devotional, which she thinks is fine.
Would you Believe it?: Young Person's Guide to Knowing God . Jessica also enjoyed A King Is Risen as a little girl. And encourages her brothers to use Young Persons Guide to Knowing God. 




I have just discovered on Amazon that she has written even more...I will have to try and get hold of them and try them out too - how exciting! 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment